So you want to leave the country. But, you never had or it’s been 10 years since you gotten your last passport. Then guess what? You will need a new one. Since my work is a Passport Acceptance Facility, I hear a lot that people didn’t know how long it took to get a passport or that they even needed one! Yes, if you are leaving the country you need one. But you will need to know a few things first:
- Routine Service can take up to 14 weeks from the day the application is submitted.
- For an additional $60 you can get Expedite Service. This is still 10 weeks from the day the application is submitted.
- If you need a passport you will need evidence of Citizenship (A Certified Copy of Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate or an Expired Passport)
- You need to have a check or money order to pay for your passport. This is sent off to the U.S. Department of State.
- You will need one 2″x2″ passport photo.
- You will then need a Completed Application form. Click here to get the form.
Just so you know an Adult Passport Book costs $110, plus a $35 agent fee. For minors (under age 16) the fee is $80, plus the $35. Then you still have to pay for photos.
So you get all your stuff together than you need to get your passport. It’s time to head to a Passport Acceptance facility. You will more than likely need to schedule an appointment for this service. To Find a list of Passport Acceptance Facilities click here or you can find local USPS locations for Passports here.
Once your appointment is scheduled get all your stuff together and head to your appointment the day it’s scheduled. Book your vacation for at least 4 months out depending on service your purchased and then it’s time to have some fun!